Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Just do it!

Here are some verses I committed to memory this week.

James 1:22-27
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does.

If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

This is what I got out of them after letting my heart marinate in them for a week: It is important to hear and read God's word. It is as, if not more, important that we allow his word to transform us into living out his word and doing it. Just do it...a fitting mantra.

These verses also get me thinking about what my "doing" looks like compared to what I've been reading and hearing. Am I doing all I can do? Do I have myself in a place where I can live out that attitude fully? When I give and do, do I do it with no expectation of a return?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home