Saturday, October 15, 2005

More deer hunting stories

I have been really busy lately with work, a trip to Chicago, and some bow hunting when I could sneak it in. After opening day I thought it would be a pretty good season...because of all the deer I saw that day...looking back that was a bit of an understatement. It has been unreal.

On October 6 I sat out with Brad and Marcus. Pretty early in the evening I had a group of deer come in behind me feeding on acorns. In the group was a spike. I decided to take him when he offered a perfect broadside shot 15 yards away. Deer never stop to amaze me with their strength and ability to survive. I hit him through one lung. He ran off and stopped 30 yards out, stood there for 5 minutes, before walking off. I sat there confused, wondering if I had missed, wondering what had happened. I decided to keep sitting. There were some does in the group with him and they began feeding on acorns again and worked their way back towards me. They ended up right under my tree. The buck had already walked away so I figured I might as well put a dent in the doe population. I took the biggest one with a 5 yard shot. I decided to wait until the next morning to look for the deer, it was a cold night, and I didn't want to jump them while tracking...I would regret that decision the next day. The spike ended up going around 200 yards, I am amazed he could go that far with a shot through the lung. The doe went about 50 yards. I should have tracked her the night before because the coyotes found her before I did. It is amazing how much they could eat in one night...they feasted well.

On October 10 I sat out with Brad. Some quick background on Brad. It is his first real bow season. He has gone gun hunting for a couple years. I got him started on bow hunting last year and he bought his first bow this past winter. He has never shot a deer in his life. We sat about 100 yards apart overlooking a rye field. Around 6:30 I saw a few does over by him and figure he is probably going to get a shot when I hear, THWACK, he couldn't wait any longer and made a perfect shot at 32 yards. Like anyone who shoots their first deer he was a little excited. We decided to keep sitting, hoping that we might see some more deer. Around 20 minutes later a spike came out into the field and then a short time later a 5 point came out. The two bucks began fighting...first time I have ever seen was awesome. They pushed and shoved eachother all over the field...just not by either of us. A doe came out and they began fighting a little offs I guess. The doe finally began heading towards Brad right before dark. Like they were on a string the two bucks followed her. Brad shot the bigger one and it ran off towards me nearly hitting every tree. It went down just out of my view. I thought Brad was going to fall out of his tree he was so excited after shooting the buck. After some easy tracking we found both of them pretty easily.

Two deer in one night, pretty impressive. Two deer in one night when you haven't ever taken a deer, awesome. Two deer in one night twice in 5 days, unbelievable.

So that brings us to tonight. I sat out with my nephew Matt. Around 6:30 he called me but I coudn't call him back because I had a couple does by me. Soon after that I had a nice buck by me. I decided to take a shot at him when he walked out into an opening at 30 yards. My arrow sailed harmlessly over his back, I was bummed. I called Matt to find out that he had missed a really nice buck. Two missed bucks, unbelievable. We decided to keep sitting, good thing. Right before dark I heard some crunching behing me. I figured it was the turkeys that had been fooling me all year. When I glanced over my shoulder I was suprised to see another buck sneaking behind me. I quickly stood up, turned my body around, and got my bow situated on the other side of the tree. He stopped right in the trail only 15 yards away. I drew and shot quickly. It was a perfect shot and I heard him crashing in the brush not far away. He only went 35 yards my shot went through his lung and his heart. I prefer that kind of tracking...short and easy.

So in 15 days we have taken 6 deer. Four bucks and two does...unbelievable.


Post a Comment

<< Home