Friday, November 17, 2006

Opening Day

Wednesday was opening day of Firearm Deer Season. Sometime this summer Michigan lowered the age limit from 14 to 12 years old. This meant my second youngest nephew, Jake, who turned 12 this year would get to go deer hunting this year. This years bow hunting season turned out to be a very good one for me which meant I would be able to sit with Jake during gun season. Needless to say we were both a little excited and the anticipation built as November 15th neared.

Wednesday morning found the two of us in a blind, a stone's throw from where I spent my first opening day 19 years ago to the day...wow I feel old now. I have a lot of respect for my dad taking me that first year. After spending the day with Jake I think I have a pretty good idea of what he experienced. All the excitement, fear, anxiety, uncertainty, lack of patience, and questions...oh, the questions. My idea of hunting is relaxing while enjoying God's creation...the peace and quietness of being in nature. There was not a lot of quietness going on in that blind, but it was a blast. I enjoyed every minute of it. Especially the 7:55 minute when Jake shot his first deer. It was the most perfect opening day morning for a 12 year old...and for a 33 year old.

There were so many moments I thought I was going to lose it and bust out laughing. None more than when he had his deer and said, "I prayed all night that God would bring us a deer" or when Jake finally sat down after being sure he had his first deer and asked for something to drink or eat because he felt like he was going to puke. After that he turned to me and said, "my heart is beating so fast". Welcome to deer hunting Jake...its grabbed a hold of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home