Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Potty Training

I've got to start writing these things down.

The past few months Max has been in potty training...actually for quite a few months now. He graduated to big boy pants a month ago or so.

The process started with teaching him how to pee in a potty and not in his diaper. I think we started with putting cherrios in the potty so he had something to "hit" and then if he was successful in that he got m&m's.

Part of his weekly fun with dad is going to get milk from a dairy that we get milk from every Sunday. This takes us by our tree farm in Lowell and we often stop to ride the "red tractor" Mule ATV or "green motorbike" 4 wheeler. In the early stages his potty training was dictated by the clock...he didn't "know" he had to go until it was to late. So at some point on one of our visits to the tree farm I realized he probably had to go...so Max learned to pee in the woods and he thought that was great fun. Soon visiting the farm meant riding the tractors and motorbikes and peeing in the woods.

Last week Max and I went out to the farm with papa. We went for a long walk through the woods and swamps so I towed Max behind me on a sled. At one point we got to a path from snowmobiles and Max wanted to "walk by self"...typical two year old talk, at least ours. It wasn't long and I think he realized, hey I am at the farm and in a woods...its time to pee. He announced, Max pee by self...which means everyone stop so I can pee.

He was thrilled to see that the fresh white snow turned yellow...which he kept pointing out to me over and over as I helped him cover up his now cold cheeks. Which brings me to the reason of writing this down. I got a voicemail from Natasha today while I was in a meeting. After the meeting I checked my voicemail to hear: "I'm just calling to tell you that your son just opened the slider door and pee'd out the door onto the deck".

I'd say we can throw away the clock...he has figured out when he has to go.

2 Comments:

At 10:23 PM, Blogger Parenting in blue jeans said...

That reminds me of the time that we found Luke on the front stoop of our old house...releaving himself for all the world to see. Too funny.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger mother Judi said...

This really sounds familiar----like father, like son . Seems like long ago I remember another little boy who liked using the "climbing tree" on the patio to do his thing :)

Good job Max !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home